RAIN, WIND Mt Lafayette and Franconia Ridge


Well I got caught up on rain this week. Hiked in rain all day Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday was an adventurous hike from Galehead Hut to Greenleaf Hut by way of Mt Lafayette. I made it to the Mt Lafayette summIt above tree line with rain and strong winds that had me hunkering down amongst the rocks to catch my breath! My pack rain cover blew off never to be seen again. My destination for the day was Greenleaf Hut which means hiking to the Mt Lafayette summit and then 1.1 miles off the AT down the rocks to the Greenleaf Hut. And back up 1.1 M. What an adventure! So glad to get inside and hang my wet everything including my pack. I did have a dry bag with my dry Tshirt second pair of socks and PJ pants down jacket and sleeping bag. Everything else was wet. Humbling! 

The next day was clearing by 10 am and I hiked back to the Mt Lafayette Summit and on to Franconia Ridge to Franconia Notch. Beautiful area with 360 view for a couple of miles along the ridge.

Today I am resting at The Notch Hostel, N Woodstock New Hampshire. Got off the AT at Franconia Notch M 373 and walked .8 M to Liberty Springs trailhead parking with two day hikers that gave me a ride to Lincoln NH next to N Woostock NH. After inquiring as to the beat burger in town I walked one mile to Black Mtn. Burgers for a delicious cheese burger. Hitched a ride to River Banks Motel for overnight. 

Seems funny to be somewhere outside of Maine.


The leaves are rapidly turning red, yellow and orange. Fall is here in New Hampshire. Rain and now some cooler days and nights. Today is clear and the short term forecast continues to be mostly clear.

I have completed the President Range of the White Mountains. North and South Kinsmen and Mt Moosilauke remain. I should get these within a few days.


I am getting close to Vermont, the third state for SOBO Thru Hikers.

Recent overnights at these AMC Huts ... Work for stay continues to be available and a blessing ( humbling ). Meeting some most gracious and considerate young people. 

Zealand Falls Hut
Galehead Hut
Greenleaf Hut

Our Heavenly Father is merciful and gracious beyond compare!


^^ountain ^^an